Here’s another classic dish of yummy for you! Delicious tasting AND it smells amazing while it’s cooking too! You can’t beat this crock pot chicken noodle soup 🙂
Chicken noodle soup might be something most everyone’s had, but there’s nothing like making your own. This is the classic version but there are hundreds, possibly thousands, of others.
And like I’m always writing…Classics are classic for a reason. And once you taste your own homemade slow cooker chicken noodle soup…well, you’ll know why!
Freezer Meal Planning
The real beauty of this recipe is most everything you need is most likely stocked in your pantry or freezer. AND if you’d like to have it around any time you please…this recipe is super freezer friendly. By that I mean it can be frozen before it’s cooked or after. Either one.
You can even leave the spices out until you pull it out of the freezer. Then you can spice it up by whatever mood you’re in or with what you have one hand.
The freezer meal directions are included with the printable version below.
Changing Up Your Seasonings
When you change your seasonings, you change the entire design of the recipe. I mean, oregano and basil scream Italian. And chili season is associated with Tex-Mex and Mexican. So changing up your seasonings, changes up the dish.
For this recipe, I used fresh parsley. Mostly because it’s still handy. It won’t be in a few months and I’ll miss it. I’m going to attempt another window-sill garden through the winter months. We’ll see how it goes 🙂
Anyways, back to the spices…Don’t be afraid to change up your spices to whatever you have on hand or be creative and use something completely new you see on the shelf or in the produce section.
A mix of rosemary and thyme is really excellent and it’s still very traditional tasting. That oregano and basil I talked about earlier…toss that in for a much more Italian type soup. It’s great that way too. I’ve never tried it with Mexican type flavorings. I’ve always reserved that for taco soup or chicken chili…but if you try it, let me know. I’d love to know how it turns out 🙂
Printable Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 1 to 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs (your choice)
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 6 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons parsley (or other herbs, like rosemary, thyme, chives, etc)
- 3 cups uncooked egg noodles
- Butter or spray your crockpot insert
- Place chicken in bottom of crock pot
- Toss the veggies in on top and pour the broth over the top
- Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours, 3 to 4 hours on high
- Remove the chicken from the crockpot and allow to cool for a few minutes
- Turn the crock to high, toss in the egg noodles & parsley (or any other herbs or spices) and cover & cook
- Dice of the chicken into whatever size you want and toss back in the crock
- Allow to cook until the noodles are tender
- Add salt and pepper as desired and serve
- Toss everything except the noodles and herbs in a large freezer bag (or two, depending on how many serving you want to make at once)
- Place the noodles and herbs in a sandwich or quart sized freezer bag
- Place the noodle bag inside the other bag
- Label and freeze, use within 2 months following the directions above