If you’re looking for classically delicious comfort food…this is it! Crock pot beef barley soup an awesome winter go-to.
Hubs has been after me to make this for a while now. But I just couldn’t do it. It just didn’t seem to be the “thing”. I am not sure why really. I cook by mood, I guess. I wasn’t “in the mood” for it. But I finally broke down and made it. And I am SO glad I did 🙂
There is nothing much more comforting than coming into your house after working all day and it smelling this cooking. I personally think this is a huge part of the terminology “comfort food”.
Warm, hearty deliciousness all ready to serve up right when you walk in the door. Soooo very awesome!
Step-by-Step Crock Pot Beef Barley Soup Directions
Wanna know how easy this soup is to make? Yeah…get this…wash, dice, dump, and cook. That’s pretty much it. And the beauty of it? I mean besides it being so easy and quick? It’s healthy.
Shhh. Don’t tell anyone. They’ll never know!
I bought a huge roast to make this and another recipe with. But if you want to save time, stew meat is a great option. You can even substitute frozen veggies for the fresh if you’re in a super big hurry.
If you’re going to be working or out-and-about all day…adding the higher end of the beef stock amount would probably be best. What I mean here is this…in the recipe I say 2 to 4 cups. I’d add at least 3 cups if I was going to be out all day. The barley is like any other grain (though this one is super high in protein…much higher than quinoa) and it’ll absorb a LOT of liquid.
You don’t want to come home excepting there to be a slow cooker full of warm, delicious comfort food waiting and find a burnt, nasty mess instead. So adding a bit more liquid will keep that from happening.
Crockpot Beef and Barley Step Video
For those folks that prefer a video/slide instead of reading…here you go 🙂
Printable & Pin It for Later Options
Here’s the printable and pinnable versions for this recipe too! Enjoy and Rock That Crock!
- 2 pounds beef roast OR stew meat
- 2 cups carrots, chopped OR use frozen OR use baby carrots
- 1½ to 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup onions, diced (optional)
- 2 cups vegetable juice
- 2 to 4 cups beef stock or broth
- 1 to 1½ cups regular barley
- Water to desired consistency
- Dice up your meat and carrots (if needed)
- Optional step: Brown the beef and onions (it's yummy if you do...if you aren't sure how to do this check out Crockpot Ranch Beef Stew for the directions)
- Toss everything in the crock pot and stir it up
- Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours
- Add more beef broth, vegetable juice or water to get to your desired consistency.
- Serve with our "Cheater" Crockpot Rolls!
If you are using this as a freezer meal:
- Complete steps 1 and 2 listed above
- If you brown the meat, let it cool
- Then toss all the ingredients in a ziplock bag, label, and freeze
More Delicious Crockpot Soups & Stews!
If you’re needing more soup and stew ideas…check some of these out!