Too Tough for the Crockpot? Absolutely not! This Cube Steak & Gravy is One Delicious Meal!
Lots of folks know that the cheaper cuts of meat are awesome cooked in the crockpot. This crock pot cube steak & gravy is absolutely NO exception to that rule. It’s creamy and delicious and very tender too!
The rice for this recipe was made in a separate crockpot and you can check that out here (posting tomorrow). That isn’t necessary of course but it IS very easy to do. You can make plain rice or seasoned rice either one. Then you can freeze it too! Again, you can check it out here (posting tomorrow).
You might want to thicken up the gravy after it’s done. I will only take about 2 minutes to do it too. I thought I was going to have to “cover and cook: an additional “x” minutes. Nope.
I added 2 tablespoons of cornstarch (non-GMO btw) to a quarter cup of cold water and stirred it for about 30 seconds. It thickened without being cooked anymore. Woohoo!
Important Note: When you do the layers…down the post a bit…you have to make sure the steaks are in a SINGLE layer. If you just toss them in the crockpot in a blob they will also come out in a blob. It’s really sorta gross. Been there and done it. So just FYI there.
Also, if you salt, pepper and garlic the meat as suggested in the recipe below…go easy. You can overdo it and then there’s no going back. You can always add more if needed.
Here’s the recipe. Let us know if you like it, changed it up or whatever. Enjoy 🙂
Step-by-Step Crock Pot Cube Steak & Gravy
Gather Your Ingredients…
Mix the canned soup, broth and the sauce
Set it aside…
Layer Your Ingredients Like This…
Meat, onions, mushrooms then soup mix X 2
Sprinkle on the onion soup mix…
Cover & cook on low for 5 to 7 hours
Here’s the Results!
Serve Over Rice, Pasta or Bread & Enjoy
Here’s the pinnable & printable for the recipe 🙂
- 1 to 1½ pounds cube steak
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce (optional but awesome)
- 1 medium onion, sliced into rings
- 8-ounce package ~or~ 1 large can mushrooms (optional)
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 1-2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Spray, butter or oil the crockpot insert
- In a separate bowl or canister mix the canned soup, broth and sauce; set aside
- Sprinkle each steak with garlic powder, salt & pepper (as desired)
- Layer each ingredient in the following order in a single layer each: steaks, onions, mushrooms. Repeat as needed to make sure the steaks are in a single layer (don't stack or supper's an epic fail, trust me)
- Sprinkle on the onion soup mix then cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours
- Serve over rice, pasta or potatoes and enjoy 🙂