5-Ingredient Crock Pot Chicken Stroganoff
Servings: 6 to 8 servings
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves cut into strips
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds sliced portabella mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter optional but adds flavor
- 1 or 2 packages dry Italian- style salad dressing mix depending on how "seasoned" you want the dish
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 to 1 1/2 blocks of cream cheese cut into pieces
- Cornstarch and water slurry to thicken optional but thickens to make a sauce
Use the butter to grease the crock pot insert, leave the remaining butter in the bottom.
Add the chicken and mushroom slices.
Pour the chicken broth over the top and sprinkle with the Italian seasoning packet(s).
Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.
30 minutes Before Serving:
Turn the crockpot to high and do not remove the lid yet.
Cut the cream cheese into chunks and stir in the chicken mixture.
Cover and cook for about 15 minutes (just until the cheese will stir in easily.
If you want a thicker sauce:
Mix 2 to 3 tablespoons of cornstarch with 1/3 cup cold water and stir until well combined.
Remove the lid of the crockpot and slowly stir in the cornstarch slurry.
Cover and cook an additional 20 to 30 minutes; until the sauce thickens.
Serve alone, over rice or pasta. OR over spaghetti squash for low carb eating
Freezer Meal Directions:
Pour all the ingredients into a large freezer bag EXCEPT the cornstarch.
Label and freeze for up to 3 months.
You can alternately add the cornstarch to a separate sandwich baggie and either drop it into the other bag OR tape it to the outside of the bag.
You can also leave it sitting in the cabinet and make a note to thicken it at the end. Your choice.