This quick & easy slow cooker chicken recipe only takes 5 minutes! The base recipe only takes 5 ingredients too. There are several ideas for optional ingredients. And you can mix and match them with your own ideas for an amazingly delicious, SIMPLE slow cooker meal.
Chicken breasts cook up great in the crockpot. Heck, most all types of chicken do. And this slow cooker chicken breast recipe is proof positive of that too! Just toss everything in before you leave for the day and come home to a delicious meal. Everyone around here loves it.
This is a great recipe to serve just about any time. It's easy enough to do up for a weeknight meal. But it's pretty enough for company too. We recently added the stove-top, pressure cooker and freezer meal directions in with the printable recipe, so that'll save you even more time.
All You Need to Know About Chicken & Potatoes
In This Article (click headings to jump)
- 0.1 All You Need to Know About Chicken & Potatoes
- 0.2 Optional (Additional) Ingredients
- 0.3 Cooking Options
- 0.4 Printable Recipe
- 1 Slow Cooker Chicken Breast and Potatoes with Gravy
Optional (Additional) Ingredients
First of all, there are mushrooms. We like mushrooms. Not everyone does though. Mushrooms seem to be a lot like cilantro.
I mean I know there is a scientific reason people like or dislike cilantro...and that isn't what I mean. I just mean people either love them or hate them.
But, we like them a lot. I cook with them a lot. BUT they are totally optional with this recipe. It works great with just potatoes and green beans.
Another optional ingredient is chicken broth. You can use water or chicken broth when making the sauce for this recipe. Chicken broth is going to give you a stronger flavor. Water gives you a milder one.
And lastly, there's butter. That's not mandatory either. It's going to add depth to the dish. And give you a richer flavor. But it's totally optional.
If you're on a calorie-restricted diet, don't add it. Margarine is not recommended, but that's a totally different story and I'm not a dietitian.
You can add carrots and take away the green beans. You can add 1/2 carrots and half green beans. The choice is yours. Both cook up very well.
Making this meal in your electric pressure cooker or in the skillet is also an option. It works great for those days you forget to toss your freezer meal into the slow cooker before starting your day. You can still eat the meal you had planned and all is well.
Not all crockpot meals can be cooked any which way (I'm pretty sure that works across the board on all meals). But for this recipe... for making chicken breasts and vegetables in your slow cooker, you can cook it as follows:
- Slow Cooker
- Electric Pressure Cooker
- Oven-Baked - Maybe, I've never tried this. I am GUESSING 375-400 degrees in a covered casserole dish for 30-50 minutes. That time would depend on the size of the vegetables.
- Freezer Meal - This one would be prepped for cooking numbers 1-3 (and #4 too if you are interested in going that route).
All cooking methods can be found below in the printable recipe. It's close to the bottom of the page, just scroll on down 🙂
Slow Cooker Chicken Breast and Potatoes with Gravy
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken strips
- 4-6 red potatoes washed and cut into wedges
- 1 pound fresh or frozen green beans
- 1 small can sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 packet chicken gravy mix
- 1 cup water (or chicken broth)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Freezer Meal Directions:
- Place chicken strips, green beans and mushrooms in a large freezer bag.
- Mix the broth and seasonings as in step #2 above. Pour over chicken mixture.
- Make a note on your label (and maybe your calendar) that you'll need the potatoes to make this recipe.
- Lay flat, squeeze out as much air as possible, label and freeze for up to 6 weeks.
- To Cook: Defrost the chicken mixture overnight in the refrigerator. Wash and cut the potatoes and lay in the bottom on the slow cooker. Pour chicken mixture over the top. Cook per directions below.
- Spray, butter, or oil your crockpot insert.
- Combine the water/broth, melted butter and seasoning packet and Italian seasoning. Set aside.
- Layer chicken, potatoes, green beans and then the mushrooms.
- Pour liquid mixture over the top.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours. Or on high for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Electric Pressure Cooker:
- Place the chicken, potatoes, green beans and mushrooms into the pressure cooker insert.
- Combine the water (or broth), melted butter, and Italian seasoning.
- Close the lid, turn to "High" and program for 15 minutes.
- * While the pressure cooker is chugging away - Mix the gravy packet with an additional 2-3 tablespoons of water and set aside.
- When the pressure cooker is done, turn the valve to quick release. Open and carefully remove your vegetables.
- Whisk the gravy mixture you priviously prepared into the seasoned broth. Whisk vigerously until well combined.
- Pour gravy over chicken and potatoes. Add salt and pepper as desired and serve.
- Melt the butter in a deep skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in the Italian seasoning and then the chicken.
- Saute for 4 to 6 minutes, until the chicken is slightly browned.
- Add the potatoes, green beans, and water/broth. Stir well.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid and turn the burner to medium-low.
- Allow it to cook 15-20 minutes Time will vary depending on the cut of your potatoes. Test with a fork for doneness.
- Use a large ladle to carefully remove the chicken and vegetables.
- Mix the gravy packet with 2 to 3 tablespoons of additional cold water. Pour into the seasoned mixture in the skillet and whisk until well combined.
- Pour over chicken and potatoes and toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired to serve.