These freezer-friendly slow cooker chicken taquitos are amazingly easy and cheap & tasty. They are an EXCELLENT premade addition to any freezer for quick dinners, snacks, and lunches.
And the best part is, is that there are several ways to make them, they are super freezer-friendly before AND after cooking too! For cooking the meat you can use the crockpot, a skillet, or your pressure cooker. Then all methods get a quick trip in the oven to finish them off.
I adore all the dishes you can make using chicken, it is one of the most versatile meats for slow cooker recipes. Check out these recipes for a little more slow cooker chicken magic; crockpot chicken and rice, slow cooker chicken and potatoes, or this crock pot chicken & dumplings.
This crockpot chicken taquitos recipe makes an AMAZING freezer recipe. And there are lots of ways to do freezer meals. Making just a couple of freezer meals now and then can save you a ton of money…
Before we go any farther, let's get the legal stuff out of the way…this post may contain affiliate links. This means I get a small commission if you purchase through these links. This will NOT increase your cost in any way. But does give you awesome recommendations that have been tested by myself or someone I dearly trust.
Spicy Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos Freezer Meal Options
Here are just a few possibilities to begin on make-ahead meals:
- Mix up 2 batches of these homemade chicken taquitos. Make one for supper and freezer the other for next week. Follow this method every few meals for a couple of weeks. Make a note in this
freebie meal plannerand log the date. You will be stocked up in just a couple of weeks.
- Pick out several slow cooker freezer meals. Be sure to set each recipe’s serving options for the mouths you'll be feeding. Prep your grocery list, go shopping if you need to, and toss them together per the freezer meal cooking guidelines on each recipe. If you prep 5 recipes using this method and double it; you obviously get 10. And now! You've got meals made for well over a week.
- Sign up for our newsletter and to get a
free copy of one of our freezer meal cooking prepping sessions. You'll get six recipes, menus, and simple to follow instructions. It's a freebie and then you will receive an email every time there's a new one available.
The bulk of uncooked freezer meals are good frozen for several months. But for this recipe, 6 weeks is the max I’d go IF you freeze them rolled. Frozen in a bag, like a regular freezer meal, 3 months is fine.
How To Make Chicken Taquitos a Little Different
There are so many reasons I love this recipe. And there are so many ways to make it a little different! I'm not talking about just the differing cooking methods, I mean the ingredients. All it takes is changing up one or two ingredients to have a new, delicious variation.
Southwest Chicken Taquitos Ingredients
The stuff you need for these spicy chicken taquitos are meat, a couple of canned goods, canned beans, spices, and cheese. And your tortillas. That’s it!
Chicken Taquitos Recipe Meat Options
Chicken breasts are the meat we used for this recipe. But, you could also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs OR you can use pork loin, a pork roast, a beef roast, or even beef stew meat!
The roasts will need to be cooked a couple more hours before shredding it. The stew meat would need about the same time as the chicken breasts, maybe an additional hour, but no more.
Canned Goods for Making Chicken Taquitos
- Fire Roasted Tomatoes – There are LOTS of variations here! Chili Ready Tomatoes or Rotel, just a couple of ideas. You could even swap out the salsa for a cream of chicken soup and use Italian Tomatoes. You’d need to swap out the spices of course. But if you wanted to take a super-quick shortcut, you could just use spaghetti sauce.
- Salsa – Any flavor of salsa will work. Or as previously stated, you could use a can of cream of chicken soup. Or if you want to go Italian, use spaghetti sauce.
- Green Chilis - Chilis add a nice bite. They can be too much for some people though. They can be used or left out. If you want to substitute something else then any sort of cooked or canned veggie or pepper would work.
- Black Beans – If you want to stick with a Mexican theme, you could use pinto beans or red beans. If you maybe wanted to go with a Cajun theme, you could use red beans and swap out the spices for a Cajun seasoning. White beans would go very well with an Italian swap out for chicken taquitos…but I guess they wouldn’t REALLY be taquitos anymore. But you get me. You taste combinations are just about endless!
Spices & Seasonings for Taquitos
For these slow cooker chicken taquitos we used cumin, chile powder, garlic powder, and onion powder. Now, I use onion and/or garlic powder in almost all recipes. We love the flavors.
Taquitos and Cheese Options
You could stick with cheddar cheese for just about any recipe. Or you could go with a Mexican cheese blend for simplicity's sake. For the Italian/Spaghetti sauce idea, I’d go with Mozzarella.
And if you want to go for a creamy chicken taquito recipe, maybe using cream cheese would be a good option. I’d go with half cheddar and half cream cheese for that.
Why Substitute Ingredients in Your Chicken Taquitos?
And the reason for changing up the recipe a bit? SALES and bulk purchases. Menu planning, sales shopping, and purchasing in bulk are super smart moves you can do for your food budget. And knowing what the heck to do with bulk buys, that is the ticket to get a stock of freezer meals, saving $$$ AND far never wondering what's for dinner again.
This freezer-friendly recipe excursion is part of bulk meal assembly by shopping meat sales. Of course, this isn't intended to eat slow cooker chicken taquitos for multiple meals back to back. That isn’t the goal here. We want to make a stash here.
So, if you can purchase bulk meat for a couple of weeks, you can rotate that stash. AND
we made a printable meal prep calendar you are most welcome to download to keep track of your purchases.
Shredded Chicken Taquitos Cooking Variations
These spicy chicken taquitos recipe is cooked in our slow cooker. But it CAN be made multiple ways.
- Instant Pot
Luckily, all 3 cooking methods use the exact same ingredients. Most of the prepping part of the instructions is the same as well.
And in the end, all 3 methods are rolled and baked. So the most difficult part isn’t difficult at all. It’s a little time consuming for me because I don’t roll burritos/taquitos quickly. It is NOT my gift.
This IS the most time-consuming thing about the whole recipe, no matter the variations. But it’s worth it! Having these prepped and ready any time you need or want them…that’s awesome!
More Easy Crockpot Chicken Recipes
Spicy Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos [Easy Instant Pot, Crockpot, Freezer & Oven Baked Directions]
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 15- ounces can of fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup salsa your favorite kind!
- 1 small can diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 15- ounces can black beans rinsed well and drained
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 10 flour tortillas burrito sized
All Cooking Versions - First Step
- Butter the insert or melt over medium-low heat in a skillet.
- Place trimmed chicken breasts into cooking appliances. Pour the fire-roasted tomatoes, salsa, green chilies over the top. Sprinkle with seasonings.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours, or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Manual high; 10 minutes for 1 to 1 1/2 inch thick breasts, 15 minutes if thicker. Quick-release, allow some of the steam to escape.
- Turn heat to low and cover skillet. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Uncooked - Combine all ingredients in a 1-gallon freezer bag. Lay flat and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Cooked & Rolled - Lay flat on a cookie sheet so the taquitos are not touching. Allow to freeze firm (at least 4 hours, overnight works). Remove and place in a 1-gallon freezer bag with a note they are good for up to 6 weeks. Heat in microwave on high for 3-5 minutes from frozen. If defrosted, heat in the microwave (1-2 minutes) or oven (350 degrees for 10-14 minutes).
- Rolled & Uncooked - Freeze per the cooked and rolled method shown above.
All Cooking Versions - Last 2 Steps
- Shred the chicken with two forks, or by tossing it into your stand mixer with the paddle or beater attachment and mix on low until shredded. Place meat back into crockpot, and add in the rinsed and drained black beans and cheese. Stir well and keep warm until you fill your tortillas.
- Fill tortillas with chicken mixture and roll it up. Place on a prepared cookie sheet and spray the tops of the tortillas with additional cooking spray.
- Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly golden brown and slightly crunchy.
Crockpot Chicken Taquitos FAQs
- Q1: What are Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos, and why are they a great recipe?
- A1: Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos are delicious Mexican food made with corn tortillas filled with creamy chicken filling and cheese. They're a great recipe because they're easy to prepare and loved by the whole family.
- Q2: How do you make the creamy chicken filling for Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos?
- A2: To make the creamy chicken filling, place chicken breasts in a slow cooker, add taco seasoning, green chiles, and a cup of water. Let it slow cook until the chicken is tender, then shred it. Mix in cream cheese to create the creamy filling.
- Q3: Can I use an air fryer to make these taquitos crispy?
- A3: Yes, you can! After rolling the taquitos, place them in an air fryer lined with parchment paper, spray with olive oil, and air fry until the tortillas are crispy and the cheese melts.
- Q4: What's a good tip for assembling the taquitos?
- A4: When assembling, make sure to place the chicken filling in the middle of each tortilla, roll them tightly, and place them seam side down on a prepared baking sheet for even cooking.
- Q5: How can I make Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Taquitos?
- A5: To make Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Taquitos, simply replace the taco seasoning with chipotle chili powder and use buffalo sauce in the creamy filling. It adds a spicy twist to the recipe.
- Q6: Are Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos a good option for a Cinco de Mayo celebration?
- A6: Absolutely! Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos are a fantastic choice for Cinco de Mayo or any Mexican-themed party. Your guests will love them.
- Q7: What's the best way to reheat leftover taquitos?
- A7: Reheat leftover taquitos in an oven preheated to 350°F (175°C) for a few minutes until they're crispy and heated through. You can also use an air fryer for this purpose.
- Q8: Can I freeze Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos for later?
- A8: Yes, you can! After cooking, let them cool, place them in a freezer-safe bag, and store them in the freezer. Reheat from frozen in an air fryer or oven for a quick meal.
- Q9: Why are Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos a great option for busy weeknights?
- A9: Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos are perfect for busy weeknights because you can prep the filling in the morning, let it slow cook all day, and then quickly assemble and cook the taquitos in the evening. It's an easy dinner solution.
- Q10: How do you serve Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos?
- A10: Serve Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos with a side of sour cream, green onion, and salsa. They make a delicious meal that pleases even the pickiest eaters and are great for Taco Tuesday or any night of the week.
- Q11: Any tips for ensuring the taquitos stay crispy when storing them?
- A11: To keep taquitos crispy, store them in an airtight container with parchment paper between layers. Avoid stacking them on top of each other.
- Q12: Can I deep fry these taquitos instead of using an air fryer?
- A12: Yes, you can deep fry the taquitos until they're golden brown and crispy. Just be sure to drain them on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Q13: Why are Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos a family favorite?
- A13: Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos are a family favorite because they combine the goodness of creamy chicken filling and crispy tortillas. They satisfy everyone's taste buds and are perfect for gatherings or family meals at the end of the week.
- Q14: What are some variations of Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos?
- A14: You can make different variations of taquitos by changing the protein (e.g., BBQ chicken), using different spices, or adding vegetables like green bell peppers for a twist on the classic recipe.
- Q15: Any safety tips when working with a deep fryer or air fryer?
- A15: When using a deep fryer or air fryer, always follow the manufacturer's instructions for safe operation. Be cautious with hot oil, and never leave it unattended. Use a flat surface, like a cutting board, to set hot items on, and keep glow sticks or any flammable materials away from the cooking area.
- Q16: What's a great way to enjoy Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos for your next party?
- A16: For your next party, make a big batch of Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos and serve them with a variety of dipping sauces and toppings. They'll be a hit with your guests, whether it's Cinco de Mayo or any celebration. Happy cooking!