Here’s a delicious crock pot chicken and rice casserole dish that the family will LOVE. It only takes 6-8 ingredients and about 10 minutes to toss in the slow cooker… LESS if you opt for using chicken tenders instead of whole chicken breasts 😊
This is a yummy casserole that goes over well with the whole family. It’s very easy to make and you can use it as a freezer meal too!
Crock Pot Chicken and Rice
Quick Jump Links
Notes for Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Casserole
Oven Baked Chicken & Rice Casserole
This recipe can be made in your crockpot. Obviously 😊 BUT you can also turn this exact same dish into an oven meal.
The only difference is you’ll need to add another ½ cup of broth (or water) per recipe shown below. What I mean by that is if you double the recipe, then add a whole cup.
AND you’ll need to use a covered dish or cover your oven-safe dish with aluminum foil. I’ve never personally had any luck making it without the dish being covered…the rice doesn’t cook well without the dish being covered somehow.
No matter how well you have the rice submerged, some will pop out. Then, that part will remain crunchy (ugh). So it’s best to either use a covered baking dish or cover an oven-safe dish with foil.
Bake it at 350 degrees for about an hour. Then 20 minutes before suppertime, remove the lid (or foil) and add the topping. Bake until your topping just starts to turn brown and serve.
Stovetop Version of Chicken and Rice Casserole
You can also make this meal on the stovetop too! Again, you’ll need that extra liquid I talked about up above.
On the stovetop, you’ll need to use an oven-safe skillet. Cast iron works. And though I don’t own any, my Mama says those copper ones that are all the rage now are oven safe too. If you don’t have an oven-safe pan, just top the dish with cheese instead of the breaded mixture.
So, for the stovetop version, first off, you’ll be browning the chicken. But just for 4-8 minutes. That time will vary depending on how large your chunks of chicken are cut.
The chicken shouldn’t be completely cooked. AND you can also totally skip with step if you dice up the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Do whichever you prefer.
Next, you’ll need to do step #4 from the printable recipe but toss in the rice at the same time. Plus, that extra liquid.
Mix it with your chicken in the skillet. Cover and bring to a boil.
Lower the heat to low-medium and cover again. Allow it to cook for 25 to 30 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes or so after the first 10 minutes.
10 minutes before serving mix the melted butter, bread crumbs and the last half of the cheese. Smooth this mixture onto the casserole.
Place under the broiler for 5 to 8 minutes. Or just long enough to slightly brown the topping.
So, now that we’re done with the alternate versions…here’s the recipe for CROCK POT chicken and rice. Enjoy! And holler if you’ve any questions 😊
Printable for Crock Pot Chicken and Rice
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (or use chicken tenders and save yourself a step)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup or make your own
- 2 to 3 cups chicken broth or stock or make your own (or water, or a mixture of the two)
- 1 12-16- ounce bag frozen peas and carrots
- 1 to 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups long-grain rice uncooked (not instant)
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- ¾ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- Spray, butter or grease your slow cooker insert
- Dice your chicken into chunks.
- Toss in the rice, meat, then the vegetables.
- Mix the creamed soup, broth, half the shredded cheese, and water. Add salt and pepper as desired and pour it over the ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Quash down the rice so it's under the liquid (if necessary, add just a little more water so it's submerged
- Mix the bread crumbs and melted butter. Add the cheese and stir well.
- Spread the mixture over the crock pot ingredients.
Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours, or high for 3 to 4. Check the rice for doneness if you're cooking it on high. It may need a bit longer.
- Note: You can dice the chicken before assembling your freezer meal or you can use chicken tenders and skip the dicing part.
- Place the chicken and vegetables in the large baggie.
- Pour half the cheese, the soup, and the chicken broth over the top, lay flat. On this step, you can add the water now or make a note on your baggie that you’ll need to add it when cooking. Your choice.
- Squeeze out as much air as possible and place the labeled side down on the counter. This is so you’ll be able to see your notes after taping everything together.
- Place the rice in a separate baggie and stack on top the first baggie.
- Place the second half of the cheese, the breadcrumbs and the butter in a third bag. Use freezer tape to secure it all together.
- Flip it over and label it with its name, the date and any notes you need to. Freeze up to 6 weeks.
Pin It for Later: Slow Cooker Chicken & Rice
MORE Crock Pot Casserole Recipes!
If you like the idea of using your slow cooker for casseroles OR you’re interested in freezer cooking… you might want to check out our full listings.