So, you’re a chicken and dumplings fan. AND you wanna know how to make it in the crockpot with Grands biscuits…this is the slow cooker chicken & dumplings recipe for you!
This is an updated recipe. The older one (much older honestly) is toward the bottom of the page. It’s good BUT it takes longer.
Not lots longer, but a little. And when you’re looking for quick and easy…the quicker and easier, the better!
And when you’re going for quick and easy this updated recipe takes fewer ingredients.
Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings Topics
New Version of Quick & Easy Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings
Now, when you’re making it…when you get to the spot you’re adding the biscuits (aka dumplings) it isn’t going to LOOK like it’s going to work…the sauce isn’t thick. And it just looks like chicken cooked in a liquidy sauce.
Don't worry! Just wait until you add the biscuits and give them time to cook…IT WORKS.
Video for Chicken & Dumplings
Here’s the slideshow/video version for those folks that prefer to watch vids...
Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings Step by Step
First, mix the soup and the broth and set the mixture aside…
Add the ingredients like the image below:
- Chicken Tenders or chunks
- Diced Onions
- Butter (either cut into "pats" or melted and drizzled)
- Soup mixture
Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours...or high for 3 ½ to 4 hours.
Then 45 to 60 minutes before serving…
Open the biscuits, cut into quarts and place over chicken. Spoon the sauce over the top of each biscuit. Cover and cook an additional 45 to 60 minutes.
Cook until the dumplings near the center are cooked to the consistency you prefer. And ENJOY!
Printable & Pinnables for New QUICK and EASY Chicken and Dumplings
Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 10.75-ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1 onion diced (optional)
- 1 10-ounce canister refrigerated biscuit dough torn or cut into quarters
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Use half the melted butter to grease the slow cooker insert. Add chicken strips.
- Mix the remaining butter, soup, broth, and onion. Pour over chicken.
- Cover, and cook for 5 to 7 hours on low; 3 1/2 to 4 on high.
- 45 to 60 minutes before serving:
- Turn crockpot to high. Open the biscuits and cut them into quarters. Place on top of the chicken mixture.
- Spoon a bit of the sauce/juice over each biscuit. Cover and cook for an additional 45 to 60 minutes.
- Check a center dumpling or two for doneness before serving.
- Set to saute and melt butter. Cook onions and chicken strips for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Cancel saute function and add chicken broth and cream soup. Stir.
- Add cut up biscuits and gently stir to coat.
- Cover, close vent, and set to manual high for 7 minutes. Natural release 5 minutes, then quick release gradually. Be careful not to burn yourself.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired. Stir and allow to rest a few minutes before serving.
- Melt the butter in a large, deep skillet, over medium heat. Add the onion and chicken strips. Stir and cook until onion is translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Turn burner to low, flip chicken, and add chicken broth.
- Cover and allow to cook until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken strips. Pour canned soup into the broth and stir until well combined.
- Return chicken to skillet and stir to coat.
- But the biscuits into quarters and place over mixture. Spoon a bit of the sauce onto each biscuit.
- Cover and cook for 18 to 25 minutes. Or until the biscuits are cooked through and no longer doughy.
Freezer Meal Directions
- Melt the butter. Combine it with the chicken broth and cream of chicken soup in a freezer-safe bag or canister. Zip and knead to mix.
- Cut the chicken breasts into strips and dice the onion. Toss them in the sauce bag. Zip and shake to marinate.
- Make a note on your label you'll need either homemade biscuit dough or a can of refrigerated biscuit dough when you make this recipe.
- Lay the package flat, label, and freeze for up to 8 weeks.
Older Version Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings with Grands Biscuits
It's winter. It's cold. Hearty, rib-sticking meals are on the menu until further notice...This slow cooker chicken & dumplings totally fits the bill too!
It takes about five minutes to cut everything up and toss it in AND most everything is usually in my pantry and freezer. That makes this a perfect slow cooker meal for us. So I wanted to share.
And with no further ado...here's the slow cooker chicken & dumplings... Enjoy!
Chicken & Dumplings Step-by-Step...
Gather Your Ingredients
- 1 large can of mushrooms. Drain the mushroom liquid into the slow cooker insert and add the following ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chicken flavored "better than bouillon"
- 15 ounce can of cream of mushroom and 2 tablespoons of flour
Mix it up and add the mushrooms and the chicken. About that chicken. You need about a pound. Maybe a pound and a half. It totally depends on how "meaty" you like it. Any sort of chicken works too. Raw, pre-cooked, frozen or canned. It doesn't matter. Dice it up and toss it in. Stir well...
Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours
Your time will vary a lot on your crockpot. If you're new to crockpot cooking or this is a new slow cooker for you...just watch it a bit after 5 hours. If you can't or you'll be gone you can always add another 1/2 cup of milk or water to the mixture. It may be a bit soupy but it'll still be awesome.
An hour before dinner...
Pop the biscuit can and cut up the biscuits into quarters. Toss them in with the chicken mixture and stir well.
Turn the crockpot to high, cover and cook for 45 to 60 more minutes...
Dinner's ready when the biscuits aren't gooey anymore. OR you can just make the biscuits and serve the chicken goo over the top. Both are delicious and work very well.
Awesome served with a side salad 🙂
Printable & Pin It for Later (Older Recipe Version):
Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings
- 1 pound chicken any kind
- 1 can Grands biscuits
- 1 tablespoon chicken flavored Better Than Bouillon
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom
- 1 large can sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon garlic optional
- Spray, oil or butter the crockpot insert
- Drain the mushroom liquid into the insert and add the garlic, bouillon, soup and flour. Stir well.
- Add the chicken and mushrooms, stir again
- Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours
- Turn the crockpot to high, quarter the biscuits and stir them in
- Cover and cook an additional 45 to 60 minutes.
- When the biscuits are no longer doughy supper's ready!