If you're the sorta person that likes creamy soups...we think you'll LOVE this slow cooker broccoli cheese soup! It's warm, creamy and absolutely delicious...excellent comfort food :)
We love creamy soups around here. And I'm sorta obsessed with freezer meals too. But my normal broccoli cheese soup just didn't survive in the freezer. It was a sad state (for me anyway).
I'm very happy to say this one works for a freezer meal. And I also have to add mostly. If you want to freeze it after it's cooked...you're golden. It freezes just fine...you just have to give is a really good stir after it's cooked to recombine all the ingredients.
If you want to freeze it BEFORE...well using hash browns instead of regular potatoes helps a lot, and (you'll see in the directions below) that you can substitute shredded cheddar or purchase the shredded Velveeta and substitute that for the diced Velveeta...and that will freeze just fine. BUT cream cheese, as a frozen block. once defrosted...well, it's is rather "yuck".
I mean, you CAN freeze cream cheese...just not to use as a creamy sort of consistency when it's defrosted. I've got several blocks in the freezer now and they'll be used for spreads on crackers or sandwiches...but not for cooking.
So the cream cheese will need to just live in the refrigerator and be added after the rest is cooked. You're welcome to try it the other way of course...but I personally wouldn't recommend it.
Okay, enough of the personal experiences and "warnings"...it works! It's delish! It's filling, creamy and was a great hit here...
In This Article (click headings to jump)
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
There isn't a lot of "step by step" to this recipe.
- You toss in the veggies and broth to the slow cooker and cook it.
- A while (like 30 to 60 minutes) before serving you add the remaining ingredients and stir it up. Then allow it to heat through and serve.
- If you prefer a chunky soup, do nothing as serve. If you prefer a cream soup. Use an immersion blender until you get the soup to your desired consistency.
Time Savers for Freezer Meal Prep
If you're in a rush for time (and honestly, who isn't most times) here are a few shortcuts & time-savers for making this slow cooker broccoli cheese soup...and some of them will flow over to other recipes too :)
- Buy frozen vegetables: Shredded hash browns, frozen broccoli, and diced, frozen onions are all available in the freezer department of most grocery and big box stores.
- Buy shredded carrots: Most all produce sections I've seen/shopped around the country have shredded carrots available in the produce section. They're ready to toss in the freezer bag or straight in the crock pot.
- Buy shredded cheeses instead of blocks. Yes, its a little more expensive but if you can afford it, it's a real time saver.
Printable & Pinnables for Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups frozen hash browns
- 5 - 6 cups of frozen broccoli or about 1 large head if using fresh
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups carrots diced small or shredded
- 1 onion minced fine
- 2 to 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 1/2 to 3 cups milk or evaporated milk whichever one you have on hand works
- 1 8 ounces block cream cheese, diced (don't freeze for this recipe)
- 2 cups shredded Velveeta shredded cheddar or cubed Velveeta (don't freeze cubed Velveeta, opt for one of the other options)
- Add the broccoli, hash browns, carrots, garlic and onion to the crockpot
- Pour the chicken stock (broth) over the top
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, high for 3 1/2 to 4 (check the vegetables for doneness before proceeding)
- Add the milk and cheese to the slow cooker and stir well.
- Turn the crock pot to high and cook an additional 30 to 45 minutes.
- Stir well and serve.
Freezer Meal Prep:
- Toss the first 6 ingredients in a large freezer bag.
- If you want to freeze the milk, put it in a bag on its own, don't mix it in.
- Stack the veggie bag, milk bag, and shredded cheese and tape them together
- Add a note to your label that the cream cheese will need purchased and/or added when you cook your freezer meal.
- Defrost in the refrigerator overnight for a 6 to 8 hour cook time.
More Crockpot Soups!
If you like this recipe we think you might also be interested in these too!
- Crock Pot Chicken and Rice Soup
- Crockpot Beef and Barley Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Ham and Bean Soup
- Crock Pot Lasagna Soup
- 5-Ingredient Crockpot Potato Soup