If you're looking for classically delicious comfort food...this is it! Crock pot beef barley soup an awesome winter go-to.
Hubs has been after me to make this for a while now. But I just couldn't do it. It just didn't seem to be the "thing". I am not sure why really. I cook by mood, I guess. I wasn't "in the mood" for it. But I finally broke down and made it. And I am SO glad I did 🙂
There is nothing much more comforting than coming into your house... after working all day and to smell this cooking. I personally think this is a huge part of the terminology "comfort food".
Warm, hearty deliciousness all ready to serve up as soon as you walk in the door. Soooo very awesome!
Step-by-Step Crock Pot Beef Barley Soup Directions
Wanna know how easy this soup is to make? Yeah...get this...wash, dice, dump, and cook. That's pretty much it. And the beauty of it? I mean besides it being so easy and quick? It's healthy.
Shhh. Don't tell anyone. They'll never know!
I bought a huge roast to make this and another recipe with. But if you want to save time, stew meat is a great option. You can even substitute frozen veggies for the fresh if you're in a super big hurry.
If you're going to be working or out-and-about all day...adding the higher end of the beef stock amount would probably be best. What I mean here is this...in the recipe I say 2 to 4 cups. I'd add at least 3 cups if I was going to be out all day. The barley is like any other grain (though this one is super high in protein...much higher than quinoa) and it'll absorb a LOT of liquid.
You don't want to come home excepting there to be a slow cooker full of warm, delicious comfort food waiting and find a burnt, nasty mess instead. So adding a bit more liquid will keep that from happening.
Printables & Pinnables
Here are the printable and pinnable versions for this recipe too! Enjoy and Rock That Crock!
Crock Pot Beef & Barley Soup
- 2 lb(s) beef roast OR stew meat
- 2 cup(s) carrots chopped OR use frozen OR use baby carrots
- 1 1/2 to 2 cup(s) celery chopped
- 1 cup(s) onions diced (optional)
- 2 cup(s) vegetable juice
- 2 to 4 cup(s) beef broth
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup(s) regular barley
- Water to desired consistency
All Cooking Versions
- Dice up your meat and carrots (if needed)
- Optional step: Brown the beef and onions (it's yummy if you do...if you aren't sure how to check out Crockpot Ranch Beef Stew for the directions)
- Complete the "All Cooking Versions" steps
- Toss everything in the crockpot and stir it up
- Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours
- Add more beef broth, vegetable juice, or water to get to your desired consistency.
- Do the "All Cooking Versions" above. You can use your saute function for about 5 minutes for step #2 if you want.
- Stir well, close the lid, and vent.
- Set to manual high and cook for 25 minutes. Quick-release and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Stir and serve.
- Complete steps 1 and 2 from "all cooking versions"; in a large, deep skillet, over medium-high heat.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and allow to simmer 45-50 minutes.
Freezer Meal Directions
- Complete steps 1 and 2 listed above; if you brown the meat, let it cool.
- Then toss all the ingredients in a Ziploc bag, label, and freeze for up to 2 months.
More Delicious Crockpot Soups & Stews!
If you're needing more soup and stew ideas...check some of these out!