Chicken soup plain rocks the cooler months of Fall & Winter. It's awesome any time of year but there's something even better when it's cold and windy outside. And this crock pot chicken and rice soup is no exception. It's deliciously awesome 🙂
What I like most about this chicken soup recipe is its versatility. You can make it in the crock pot. OR you can make it on the stove. AND you can make it into a dump-and-go freezer meal for those "rush rush" days. Got too many leftovers? No problem, you can freeze those too! So what the heck is NOT to like!
Chicken & Rice Soup Topics
In This Article (click headings to jump)
- 0.1 Chicken & Rice Soup Topics
- 0.2 The Beauty of Slow Cooker Freezer Meals
- 0.3 Slow Cooker or Stovetop Chicken and Rice Soup
- 0.4 Step-by-Step Prep for Crock Pot Chicken and Rice Soup
- 0.5 Printable and Pinnable Crockpot Chicken & Rice Soup
- 1 Crock Pot Chicken and Rice Soup
The Beauty of Slow Cooker Freezer Meals
Crockpot freezer meals rock. I don't say that just 'cause I run a slow cooker site. No ma'am (or sir, whatever)... I say that because they've saved my sanity on more than one occasion.
The last couple weeks around here have been a little more than challenging. And since this isn't a personal blog I'll not go into the sordid details...I WILL say we'd have not eaten at least 3 times during these last couple weeks. I mean we could have always done peanut butter and jelly's but that would have been the extent of my pantry. And though I do love a good PB&J on occasion, dinner food on a regular basis it ain't.
But again, we didn't have to. We had several freezer meals from an epic cooking session a friend and I did. You can read about that here
And tonight, we're having another one in that marathon cooking session, Crockpot Meatball and Ravioli Casserole. As soon as I get done here, I'm tossing on some cheese to top it off and making a side salad. Easy peasy AND yummy too!
Slow Cooker or Stovetop Chicken and Rice Soup
Another excellent benefit of this recipe...it works on the stovetop or in the crock pot. So even if you DO decide to give crock pot freezer meals a shot and forget to toss it in the crock...this one works on the stove too.
You can find directions for both (and the freezer meal prep directions) in the printable recipe at the bottom of this article/post/recipe.
Step-by-Step Prep for Crock Pot Chicken and Rice Soup
Some soups (mine included) have to have stuff done up some before hand. NOT this chicken soup. This one's a true toss & go recipe.
Peel the potatoes if you want... I didn't to want personally so the skins stayed on. Use frozen or fresh veggies, either one works.
Any sort or rice except quick cook works. What you see in the picture above is half long-grain white rice and half long-grain brown rice. If you've only got quick-cook rice, then don't add it until the last 15 minutes or so. I don't use it very often personally, so I don't know the exact crockpot cooking time for it...that's an estimate.
Anyways...toss whatever all ingredients you decide to use in the slow cooker. Stir it up. Cover and cook for 6 to 8 hours. Super easy:)
Also...Before serving, remove the bay leaves. They give a delicious flavor to soups but you can't ingest them. They aren't digestible either and they can scratch your throat. So don't forget to get them out.
Printable and Pinnable Crockpot Chicken & Rice Soup
Here's the Pinnable and printables for the soup. Enjoy. Give us a shout out on the Facebook page if you try it, what you changed, etc. Enjoy & Rock That Crock!
Crock Pot Chicken and Rice Soup
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken, diced
- 2 cups washed and diced potatoes
- 2 cups mixed vegetables fresh or frozen
- 1 can diced tomatoes 15-ounce
- 1 cup rice uncooked (not quick cook)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can evaporated milk optional but makes is deliciously creamy
- 2 to 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons basil optional
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning optional
- Dice up the chicken and veggies
- Toss everything in and stir it up
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours
- Remove the bay leaves before serving
Freezer Meal Directions:
- Wash and dice all the ingredients
- Dump everything in large freezer bag
- Defrost in the refrigerator overnight before cooking
- Cook on low 6 to 8 hours
Stove Top Directions:
- Toss all the ingredients (either fresh or frozen) into a large stock pot
- Cook over low heat for 45 to 60 minutes (until chicken is cooked through and veggies are soft)
If you think this recipe sounds good, here's another option submitted by a reader...this one uses quick cook rice, lime, and cilantro!
- 1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Place the chicken breasts into a slow cooker; pour in the lime juice and chicken stock. Add the garlic and butter.
Cover, and cook on Low until the chicken is very tender, 6 to 8 hours.
During the last 15 to 30 minutes stir in the rice and cilantro, add another tablespoon of lime juice if you want and add salt and pepper if you want.
Cover and cook until the rice is tender.