If you’re looking for a creamy, deliciousness on a cold winter's night, this slow cooker beer cheese soup hits the spot! We’ve provided the slow cooker, skillet AND freezer prep directions for this recipe. So you can make a batch, give it a shot and if you like it, then toss a couple bags in the freezer for a super easy dinner whenever you need it…
This ingredient list looks a little long, but don’t worry! It goes together fast. AND this creamy deliciousness is SO worth 10 to 12 minutes of your time.
And winter is the perfect time for using your crock pot AND for soup. So don't forget to check out our list of crock pot soups too!
Slow Cooker Beer Cheese Soup
This is NOT a difficult recipe. And the blending of flavors tastes amazing when it's done! I've made it on the stove top a couple times, I prefer it in the slow cooker. NOT just cause this is a crockpot site. But because the flavors have time to "meld". And, it's even better warmed up the next day. So you might want to make a little extra or lunch (or a whole second meal)...whatever you prefer 🙂
My main recommendation from this cooking expedition? Don’t use a cheap beer. I personally wouldn’t use a really dark beer either. Unless you like the flavor of dark beers. I don’t so much. If you enjoy dark beef, if that’s the case, you’ll probably enjoy beef cheese soup made that way. Just FYI. Experiment a little and enjoy it 😊
Printable Slow Cooker Beer Cheese Soup
Since there are several ingredients for this recipe, they are listed in order of use…not by type of ingredient. That’s an attempt at making it a little more streamlined.
Hopefully, it works like I intended. If it doesn’t, let me know. If ya’ll prefer it by “type”…like “meat” or “veggie” instead…I’ll change it back the other way.
Slow Cooker Beer Cheese Soup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 12- ounce bottle of dark beer
- 2 cups chicken broth 1 1/2 cups in step #1, 1/2 cup in #2
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk/half & half/heavy cream
- 4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Slow Cooker Method:
- Use the butter to grease the crockpot & toss in the veggies. Pour the beer and 1 ½ cups of the broth over the top; cook 5 to 8 hours on low, 3 ½ to 4 hours on high.
- 45 to 60 minutes before serving…Turn the crockpot to high. Mix the ½ cup broth with the flour and whisk until smooth.
- Add the last seven ingredients and stir well.
- Cover with the lid tilted and cook until the cheeses are melted completely (About 45 minutes).
- Taste test. Add hot sauce, salt, and pepper to your own preference.
Stove Top Method
- Combine the chicken stock, beer, and vegetables in a saucepan. Simmer until the vegetables are tender (Usually about 12 to 14 minutes).
- While the veggies are cooking, use a large soup pot and melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Once the butter is melted, add the flour a little at a time while whisking.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the mixture is a light brown.
- Turn heat to medium and low add the milk. Whisk and stir constantly or the milk can scorch. Stir until thick (about 5 minutes).
- Turn the heat to low and add vegetable-broth mixture and the remaining ingredients. Adjust hot sauce, salt, and pepper to your preference.
Freezer Meal Prep
- Your needs will vary slightly depending on how you intend to cook this recipe (slow cooker or skillet). To err on the side of caution…so you can use it however you (or I) please…I prep mine like this.
- Label the freezer bag. Make a note you’ll need a beer and 3 cups of milk, half & half or heavy cream when you make the recipe.
- If your shredded cheese didn’t come in a 4-cup bag, dump 4 cups in a quart-sized freezer bag.
- Toss the vegetables and broth in a gallon size freezer bag.
- Place the spices in a sandwich or snack-sized freezer bag.
- Stack up the bags and use freezer tape to attach them ~or~ toss the cheese and spice bags in the gallon bag.
- Squeeze out excess air and freeze for up to 3 months.
“Pin It for Later” Slow Cooker Beer Cheese Soup
More Wintertime Slow Cooker Options
Here are a few more options for putting that crock pot to work...
- Crock Pot Soup, Stew & Chili Recipes are a great option for cold winter nights. There are lots of freezer meal options too!
- If you're not in the mood for soup, how about these Crockpot Pasta Recipes? Creamy, filling and very kid-friendly options here 🙂
- OR if you're looking for something to go WITH that soup...Crockpot Sandwich Recipes are an excellent option.
Hi! Do you think I could add spiral ham pieces and potatoes to this soup and it still taste delicious? Thank you!
THAT is a delicious idea! Go you!