If you're looking for a fall-off-the-bone, juicy, tender slow-cooked chicken recipe...THIS crock pot balsamic chicken is awesome!
Don't let the "balsamic vinegar" turn you off. I did for years. Epic mistake on my part!
The balsamic vinegar does NOT make your food taste like vinegar. It just doesn't. Sure it adds an interesting twist BUT its primary purpose is to tenderize the meat. And boy, oh boy did this combo of balsamic vinegar, chicken broth and red wine do the job!
In This Article (click headings to jump)
- 1 Awesome Points About Crock Pot Balsamic Chicken
- 2 Pinnable & Printable Recipe for Crock Pot Balsamic Chicken
- 3 Crock Pot Balsamic Chicken
- 4 MORE Crock Pot Chicken Awesomeness!
Legal Stuff: This post might contain affiliate links. That means, if you purchase something through one of the links, SlowCookerKitchen makes a small commission. It does NOT increase your price. Everything recommended it stuff we have tried and/or have researched to the point of insanity. Here's the full disclosure policy if you want to read it.
Awesome Points About Crock Pot Balsamic Chicken
Here are just a few points about this recipe that makes it awesome. Awesome...people still use that word right? If not, I'm telling my age. I'm okay with that though 🙂
- Very VERY easy. This is one of those unattractively-named, but awesome "dump & go" meals. Just toss it all in the slow cooker. And walk away. Sure, sure to get the all over coloring its great to flip it halfway through. But honestly...one usually has time for that? I don't. So cook it upside down if you're worried about presentation.
- And...get this...you can change out the meat. Yep, you don't have to use chicken. This recipe works with a beef roast, a lean pork roast, or even use beef stew meat. The stew meat will NOT need to cook all day. So if you go that route, take about 2 hours off the "low setting" time.
- Last point...It's a freezer meal too. Yep, you guessed it. Like a LOT of SlowCookerKitchen recipes, this one's a freezer meal too! The only swap out point is I'd use canned mushrooms or pre-sauteed mushrooms if turning this into a freezer meal. The carrots will be just fine frozen. But I've never had much luck freezing fresh mushrooms. If you have and know a trick PLEASE let me know.
Choosing Your Chicken for Crockpot Chicken Recipes
NOW...if you're gonna use chicken, any sort will do. BUT you need to adjust your cook time accordingly.
- Bone-in chicken with the chicken ON can cook the longest without getting tough.
- Second on the list is dark meat chicken can be cooked longer than white meat...again, without drying out.
- Skin ON boneless chicken is the middle ground. It cooks quick but the oils from the skin will still keep it moist.
- Boneless, skinless cooks in 4 to 5 hours on low usually but that can vary a bit if you're using super thick breasts.
- Last, there are boneless, skinless chicken filets. These cook the fasts and depending on the recipe, usually take only 3 to 5 hours.
Pinnable & Printable Recipe for Crock Pot Balsamic Chicken
But, like I said up above, you can use any sort of chicken (and several other types of meat) you want for this recipe. In the pics above, I used bone-in skin-on chicken thighs. That makes this recipe cook for 6 to 8 hours.
Crock Pot Balsamic Chicken
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken
- 1 pound whole mushrooms washed
- 2 large carrots peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 to 10 cloves of garlic crushed (obviously, depends on your garlic preferences)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup onions sliced, diced or minis (I used minis, you don't have to)
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Place the chickens in the bottom of the slow cooker insert.
- Add the carrots, then the mushrooms.
- Mix the remaining ingredients and pour over the chicken and vegetables.
- Cover slow cooker, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours.
Psstt...To get an "all-over color and saturated flavor FLIP the chicken thighs halfway through if you're around. It'll improve the flavor but it is NOT mandatory.
You can use whatever chicken you want, but you'll need to adjust the recipe up or down, timewise depending on your type of chicken used.
MORE Crock Pot Chicken Awesomeness!
Awesome seems to be my word of the day 🙂 But seriously...here are several more crock pot chicken recipes you might wanna check out!
- 5-Ingredient Crock Pot Chicken and Mushrooms
- 5-Ingredient Crock Pot Chicken Alfredo Tortellini
- 5-Ingredient Chicken Breast Dinner