If you've ever wanted to try making your own homemade tomato soup then you might want to check out this slow cooker tomato soup recipe. It's creamy, easy and delicious!
You can make it with fresh tomatoes...which is awesome for us gardeners at the end of the gardening season when there are tomatoes, tomatoes, and MORE tomatoes coming in.
OR you can make it with canned tomatoes as well. This is an awesome option during the cold winter months when you're looking for an easy, yummy comfort food.
And heck, kids love tomato soup. Tomato soup paired up with a sandwich is wonderful yumminess any time of year.
AND this is another recipe that makes an awesome freezer meal too. BOTH before or after cooking. So read on to read about all the delicious slow cooker tomato soup options.
OH! One more thing...this is another "hybrid recipe"! What do I mean by that? You can make it using your crockpot OR on the stovetop too!
In This Article (click headings to jump)
- 1 Slow Cooker Tomato Soup Options
- 2 Slow Cooker Tomato Soup
- 3 Garden Fresh Slow Cooker Tomato Soup
- 4 3-Ingredient Tomato Soup (Skillet or Slow Cooker)
- 5 Other Delicious Crockpot Soup Recipes
Legal Stuff: This post might contain affiliate links. That means, if you purchase something through one of the links, SlowCookerKitchen makes a small commission. It does NOT increase your price. Everything recommended it stuff we have tried and/or have researched to the point of insanity. Here's the full disclosure policy if you want to read it.
Slow Cooker Tomato Soup Options
The picture you see above is a creamy tomato soup. More a tomato bisque. Which sounds really fancy...and difficult, but totally isn't. A bisque is just a soup that has a cream base. Nothing more. So when you add cream at the end of this recipe, you go from a regular soup to a bisque.
You do NOT have to use cream though. You can also use cheese. And adding cream cheese instead of cream at the end of the cooking cycle is just a different twist on yummy...
Printable Crockpot Tomato Soup
Slow Cooker Tomato Soup
- 2 pounds fresh tomatoes blanched and skins removed then diced
- 2 to 4 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1/3 cup onions minced
- OR 2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes with garlic and onions
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil minced ~or~ 2 teaspoons dried basil
- Place diced tomatoes, onions and garlic in a crockpot.
- Use an immersion blender to puree about 80% (alternately put them through your blender or food processor before adding them to the slow cooker).
- Turn heat to high, cover and cook for 4 to 5 hours (or low all day OR even overnight) then remove the lid and turn to low.
- Stir in cream and basil.
- Depending on the sweetness and/or saltiness of the tomatoes you used, you may want to add a touch of sugar or salt; so season accordingly.
- Swirl in a bit of sour cream before serving if desired.
Freezer Meal Directions:
- You can freeze this soup before or after cooking. Some cream brands freeze very well. Others will separate and look a bit weird. They do not taste any different, but it may affect the look of your soup.
- If this bothers you just make the soup, allow to cool completely and freeze afterward.
- Alternately, you can freeze the soup BEFORE adding the cream and add it afterward. Just make a note on the freezer bag that you'll need to add it (and have it in the refrigerator when the time comes)
- When you defrost the soup you may need to stir very well to reincorporate the cream but I've never experienced it separating once it's been cooked.
- Freezer friendly before cooking, 3 months. Freezer friendly after cooking, 6 weeks.
Garden Fresh Tomato Soup
This is a great soup for all us gardeners. As the garden season starts winding down and the pumpkins start coming out, most of us find ourselves BURIED in tomatoes. And we LOVE tomatoes here. But there are only so many you can eat. So this garden-style tomato soup is a wonderful option.
Garden Fresh Slow Cooker Tomato Soup
- 2 lbs fresh tomatoes skins removed and diced
- 2-4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/3 cup minced onions
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1-8 ounce package cream cheese softened and cubed
- 2 tbs fresh basil minced
- Place diced tomatoes, onions and garlic in a large stockpot.
- Use an immersion blender to puree to your desired consistency.
- Turn heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Uncover, turn the burner to low and stir in cream and basil.
- Allow to heat completely and serve.
- Toss the tomatoes, onion, and garlic in the crockpot.
- Use an immersion blender to blend until you're happy with the consistency (Mine's usually about 80 to 90% blended).
- Cover (with the lid tilted) and cook on low either all day or overnight.
30 Minutes Before Serving:
- Add the minced basil and cream (or cream cheese).
- Stir well and taste test. Add a bit of sugar and/or salt to fit your own tastes.
- Serve with a swirl of sour cream for added deliciousness.
3-Ingredient Tomato Soup (Skillet & Crockpot Options)
If you're looking for a SUPER EASY homemade tomato soup option, this is it!
You can also make this on in the crockpot or on the stovetop. It's a wonderful option for any time you just NEED tomato soup in your life 🙂
3-Ingredient Tomato Soup (Skillet or Slow Cooker)
- 2 14.5- ounce cans diced tomatoes with garlic and onions
- 1 cup heavy cream OR 1 8-ounce package cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried basil or 2 tablespoons fresh
- Dump the tomatoes in a large saucepan.
- Puree them to your desired consistency (if you're using an immersion blender) or use a blender/food processor beforehand.
- Turn to high and bring to a boil.
- Turn to medium-low and slowly add the cream while stirring.
- Sprinkle in the basil and allow to simmer 10 minutes.
- Taste test and add sugar and/or salt if needed (this will vary with each and every tomato in the world due to acidity and growing conditions)
- Follow the skillet directions as written above, with the following exceptions:
- Cook on high for 2 to 3 hours before adding the cream and basil, alternately on low for up to 6 hours (the extra time is NOT necessary, but it also will not ruin the food if you aren't able to get back to it).
Copycat Condensed Tomato Soup
One last note (and this isn't my recipe folks) but I KNOW lots of folks LOVE the condensed, canned tomato soup. Its one of those almost perfect comfort foods...something a lot of us remember from childhood.
SO, I found us a recipe. I have NOT made it...yet. But if you'd like to check it out, here's a Copycat Cambell's Tomato Soup recipe to try!
Other Delicious Crockpot Soup Recipes
If you're ready for MORE slow cooker soup recipes...here's bunches more you might like!