Beef Burgundy is one of those delicious, winter stews that many people love. It's one of those perfectly delicious comfort foods. And this slow cooker beef burgundy is no exception.
We've had some requests lately for Instant Pot recipes. I don't own an Instant Pot. I DO have a Carey electric pressure cooker though. The ONLY difference is the Carey can be used for canning too! Cooking wise, there is no difference. So though this recipe doesn't say "Instant Pot", you can use the pressure cooker recipe for cooking in your Instant Pot if you'd like.
Another bonus, this recipe is another freezer meal! BUT that only works for the slow cooker. There are freezer meals for pressure cookers but this isn't one of them. I CAN be BUT you'll need to exclude the alcohol and go with beef broth for that to be okay. You can read more about that down in the printable pressure cooker recipe.
Slow Cooker Beef Burgundy
Printable Beef Burgundy Recipes
This easier version for slow cooker beef burgundy skips braising the meat. It also adds in using a beefy onion soup mix for the seasoning. It's a great time saver and still delicious.
Slow Cooker Beef Burgundy
- 1 pound sirloin tips
- 2 tablespoons flour almond flour works well low carbers
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce
- 1/2 cup Burgundy wine or Beef broth if you don't do liquor
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup pearl onions or sliced onions
- 1/2 cup skinned and diced carrots
- 3/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Slow Cooker Method:
- Use about 1/2 the butter to grease the slow cooker insert.
- Toss the beef tips in a zippable baggie with the remaining melted butter. Zip and shake.
- Open the bag and sprinkle with the flour and onion soup mix. Shake until coated.
- Toss the coated meat, garlic, onions, carrots and mushrooms in the slow cooker.
- Mix the wine and browning sauce and pour over the top.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours (possibly up to 9 depending on the size of beef tips and carrots).
Pressure Cooker Method (ie: Instant Pot)
- Hit the "Saute" button on your pressure cooker. Proceed to the next step while it's heating up. It will need to get to "hot" before you use it.
- Toss the beef tips in a zippable baggie. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the melted butter, then sprinkle with the flour and soup mix. Zip and shake.
- Place the remaining butter in the heated pressure cooker and lay the beef over the bottom in a single layer. Cook 3 to 5 minutes on each side. If there's an issue with sticking just add a little more butter or a bit of the wine/stock. Not much, just enough to keep it from sticking.
- Remove the beef and set aside.
- Add the wine and garlic to the pressure cooker. Scrape any butter brown bits off the sides and mix in well (flavor, flavor, flavor). Do NOT close the top. You have to reduce the wine and allow the liquor to evaporate. If you don't do this step then the steam that escapes can become flammable. No need to take that chance. Reduce for 5 to 8 minutes (or about to half the original amount).
- Add the browning sauce and stir.
- Toss the meat and vegetables back in the pressure cooker and add salt and pepper if desired.
- Close the lid and press the "stew" button. Set for 40 minutes. Allow to sit for 8 to 12 minutes before venting.
Freezer Meal Prep:
- NOTE: If you're making this for a freezer meal for your electric pressure cooker you will need to skip the wine. Use beef broth instead. The wine has to be reduced so the alcohol is removed before it can go in the pressure cooker. It's a fire hazard otherwise.
- Prep the meat as directed above but leave it in the baggie.
- Toss the veggies in the freezer bag.
- Mix the liquid ingredients and pour over the top.
- Lay flat, label and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Defrost in the refrigerator overnight before cooking.
- To cook cut the bottom out of the side of the bag and pour into crockpot so the meat is mostly on the bottom.
- Cover and cook as directed above.
"Pin It for Later" Crock Pot Beef Burgundy
More Slow Cooker Beef Recipes
If you're a slow cookin' beef fan...we think you might want to check out some of these other recipes too!
- Easiest Crock Pot Roast Beef Ever
- 3-Ingredient Crock Pot Swiss Steak
- 4-Ingredient Crock Pot Shredded Beef
- 4-Ingredient Crockpot Beef Tips & Gravy
- 5-Ingredient Crock Pot Pot Roast
- 4-Ingredient Slow Cooker Steak Strips