If you’re looking for a super easy, VERY tasty crock pot roast beef recipe…Here you go! This recipe takes all of 5 minutes to toss together. Well, maybe 10 minutes if you’re peeling your potatoes.
AND it only takes 7 ingredients to make it a one-pot meal. BUT it’s pretty healthy too.
This is one of those yummy dishes you can make ANY day of the week BUT it’s still a nice enough meal to make for guest too.
Crock Pot Roast Beef Topics
Quick Jump Links
Step by Step Beef Roast Prep
This isn’t at all difficult. How could it be when it takes between 5 and 10 minutes eh?
Anyways…it isn’t quite a “dump and go” meal BUT quick, easy AND it’s super yummy.
Step #1: Beef Roast, Carrots & Potatoes
Grease, oil or butter the crockpot insert. I personally prefer butter. Both for flavor and for the dietary path we choose to follow. But whatever you do, add a little something to help with cleanup afterward.
You’re adding the roast, potatoes, and carrots first…
- The Roast: This beef roast was purchased already wrapped. Well, it came with the 1/4 beef I purchased wrapped like this. This is a great way to get a sliceable, tender roast beef. Instead of shredded like usually happens with our Shredded Roast Beef Sandwiches recipe.
- Wash and chunk the potatoes and carrots and toss them in. Around the edges and over the top if you have extras. I personally didn’t peel my potatoes. But I DID peel my carrots. It’s a taste preference. I don’t like the way carrot skins cook. That’s just me. Whatever you wanna do.
Low Carb/Keto folks…you can also have this yumminess! Substitute sweet potatoes for the Yukons and you’re golden.
You can also wrap your own roast. I tried it once with butcher’s twine. It was an epic fail and rather funny. But now I found a roll of meat netting! Excitement!!! I had no idea you could order it as a net. I guess I should have, but I never thought about it. It even comes in different sizes for different sized meats…
I have it on order now to try it out. I’m a foodie nerd and I know it. I’m okay with that :)
OHHHH. You can also make gravy with the broth when you’re done. I didn’t with this recipe, so you won’t see any pictures of that part. BUT you can see directions in the printable recipe down below.
Step #2: Onions & Garlic
Toss the onions and garlic in next. You can slice or chunk the potatoes, whichever you want. AND you can also use as much or as little of the garlic cloves too.
So…you can see in the pic that I used a LOT. Why? Because garlic is healthy, helps fight colds and we like it. Use as much or as little as you prefer :)
Step #3: Broth & Seasonings
Your last step is adding the seasonings and the broth. You can make both from scratch OR you can purchase them. It all depends on how much time you want to spend and/or how close you want to eat to whole foods.
I personally try to balance it. We do NOT eat whole foods all the time. We do SOME of the time. When there is time and also when I’m in the mood.
So, if you DO decide to go homemade you can control:
- The amount of salt added
- Remove preservatives
- Save quite a bit of $
And, if you decide NOT to go homemade, you can also purchase in bulk and save $ that way too :)
Step #4: Cut & Serve
Obviously, you’ll need to cook it first :) But just covering it and cooking it on low for 6 to 8 hours. Or high for 4 to 5 hours if you’d rather.
It doesn’t look like “so much awesomeness” right now…but WAIT! It will! And it’s delicious too…
- Fish the roast out of the slow cooker and lay it on a platter, large plate or cutting board. Use a pair of scissors to cut the netting off and toss it.
- Next, use a very sharp, meat knife to slice your crock pot roast beef.
- If you want it to have a “fall apart” texture, cut against the grain of the meat.
- If you’d rather slice is super thin, cut with the meat grain.
- Lastly…dish it up and serve AND you can also make gravy with the juices. I didn’t with this roast. I honestly ran out of time. But if you’d like to, the directions are in the printable recipe down below…
Crock Pot Roast Beef
Lightly grease the slow cooker insert.
Place the roast in the bottom of the crockpot.
Wash the veggies and peel as desired. I left my potato skins on but not the carrots. It's a personal choice, you do as you prefer.
Cut the potatoes, onions, and carrots into fairly large chunks or slices and place in a slow cooker.
Pour the beef stock over the top and sprinkle with the seasonings.
Cover, and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or High for 4 to 5 hours.
If your roast came wrapped, you'll need to remove that before slicing it.
Serve the roast sliced with onions on top with potatoes and carrots on the side.
Fresh parsley, thyme or minced chives makes a pretty and flavorful garnish for the top IF you're going for presentation.
Homemade Beef Gravy
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup beef stock from slow cooker
Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
Sprinkle the flour into the butter while stirring constantly.
Stir and mix the butter mixture constantly until it turns golden brown. About 4 minutes but will vary with the type and size of the pan used.
Slowly add the beef broth while you continue to stir.
Allow mixture to come to a low boil. Stirring constantly may not be necessary for a couple minutes but keep a close eye on it so it doesn't stick.
Turn heat to low and stir and whisks the mixture every couple minutes until it reaches the consistency you'd like.
Pin It For Later Crock Pot Roast Beef!
MORE Crock Pot Beef Recipes
If you liked this post we think you might want to check out some of these too!