Fresh beans are awesome. They are crunchy, crisp and come in a wide variety of shapes and textures. The ones used for this slow cooker green beans recipe are called "Kentucky Wonders". And they are yummy!
It doesn't matter if you grow your own, though. You can pick them up at the farmer's markets easily enough. Some grocery stores carry fresh green beans year around now too. So there are lots of options.
If fresh isn't an option you can always use frozen, or even canned. Your looks and texture are gonna change but big deal. It's all about taste (or mostly).
Ingredients for slow cooker green beans
For this recipe I used:
- 2 pounds fresh green beans (about, I didn't weigh them)
- 3 cloves of crushed garlic
- 3 large red potatoes
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 packet of uncured, real bacon bits (not pictured above)
- 2 teaspoons of beef flavored Better Than Bouillon
Your Ingredients Are Optional & Interchangeable Too
What do I mean by interchangeable? Easy, you can substitute stuff as you please.
If you don't use bacon bits, fry up and use cooked and crumbled bacon. If you don't like bouillon (though this brand has less sodium and calories than broth) then use broth. Don't have any red potatoes on hand? No worries, use russets. Think onions are gross? Don't use them...
Just go with the flow. Cooking is really just a little of science with a lot of art tossed in. Throw it all in the slow cooker, stir it up and cook it all day. You'll probably come up with something yummy everyone loves.
Here's the recipe, give us a shout on the Facebook page and let us know how yours turned out 🙂
Slow Cooker Green Beans
- 2 pounds fresh green beans
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 red potatoes washed and cubed
- 1 large yellow onion sliced
- 1 packet bacon bits not imitation ~or~ 1 packet of cooked & crumbled
- 2 teaspoons beef flavored "Better Than Bouillon" ~or~ beef broth
- 2 cups water exclude if using broth
- Toss all the ingredients in your slow cooker
- Cover and cook on low all day (or overnight)
- Garnish with more bacon bits before serving if desired