Here’s a quick and easy, YUMMY crock pot recipe. Slow cooker honey mustard chicken! It’s easy enough to make for any night of the week BUT just different enough for just about any occasion you can think of.
It’s also a very easy freezer meal AND we’ve got oven directions for you too. Just in case you need them.
Have you ever had those times when you've got food cooked OR you have stuff made up already in the freezer, but just didn't WANT it? Or times when nothing sounds good? Yeah, that's where this recipe came from.
I just wasn't "in the mood" for anything. And yeah, I cook for you guys...and for guest too. But sometimes you just "want".
It's nothing fancy, but it WAS really good! The almonds? Well, that's mostly for "pretty", but my niece thought they were delicious. She actually picked off most of them and gave me all her peppers 🙂
Legal Stuff: This post may contain affiliate links. That doesn't mean you pay more. All the stuff is the same price to you. It only means Slow Cooker Kitchen will receive a small commission for recommending any products you purchase through our links. Anything recommended has been used in our kitchens or is on our own personal wish list for the future.
Cooking Options for Honey Mustard Chicken
This is a REALLY cool recipe. It's another "hybrid". I have to make a list of all of them on the website, I know.
But what I mean by hybrid is there are SO many options on how to cook it!
- Crock Pot...of course, this is a slow cooker site after all.
- Oven Method... 350 degrees for 45 minutes; details in the printable version below.
- Pressure Cooker Honey Mustard Chicken by This Old Gal. Her recipe's not the same as mine here but the pressure cooker info is on her site.
- Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken by Cooking Classy. Again, not exactly my recipe ingredients, but you'll get all the cook times you need for using that method too.
- Freezer Meal Option. The beauty of this one is you can turn around and cook it using any one of the cooking methods listed above.
So, no matter what time of year it is. Hot, rainy, freezing...whatever! You've got honey mustard chicken anytime you want it 🙂
I'm not on a soap-box. Don't take what I'm about to write that way, please. But the quality of your ingredients is going to matter on this recipe. And on most recipes really.
I am NOT saying don't use a cheaper "hot dog" type mustard. And I am NOT saying you have to go purchase expensive honey either...
I'm just saying the quality of your mustard is going to change the taste. Not make it bad, just change. So this is the mustard I used and that I'm recommending. I used a couple other kinds over the summer for grilled chicken recipes and didn't care for it.
I personally think the cheaper mustards make GREAT dips. But not so much for marinades. That's me, you do as you like and enjoy. I'm just letting you know my personal experience...
Choosing Your Chicken
This recipe calls for boneless, skinless chicken. I used chicken breasts. You most certainly can use chicken thighs if you want.
You can even use the bone-in type chicken too. Whatever you prefer.
Just modify the time you cook it a little and you'll be golden. I yammered on a bit about that over on this recipe for balsamic chicken. That link will take you straight to the part of the article on "choosing your chicken".
Printable & Pinnable for Slow Cooker Honey Mustard Chicken
Here's the printable recipe. It includes the crock pot, oven and freezer options. Neither the pressure cooker or grill methods are included since they aren't my personal recipes. The links for those are up above at the beginning of the article.
5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Honey Mustard Chicken
- 6 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut into large chunks
- 1 to 2 red bell peppers sliced
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Almonds & fresh parsley for garnish totally optional
- Crockpot Directions:
- Lightly butter, oil or spray the crockpot insert.
- Place the chicken in a single layer in the crockpot.
- Top the chicken with the bell pepper slices.
- Mix the honey, mustard and paprika in a small bowl and pour over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 1/2 to 6 hours (time will vary depending on the size and thickness of your chicken breasts). Alternately, cook on high for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper as desired.
- Place in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Mix the honey, mustard, and paprika in a small bowl.
- Pour 1/2 of this mixture over the chicken, and brush to cover.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Turn chicken pieces over and top with the bell peppers.
- Pour the remaining sauce over both chicken and the peppers.
- Bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.
- Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
Freezer Prep Directions:
- Pour the honey and mustard directly into a pre-labeled 1-gallon freezer bag.
- Add the paprika, zip the bag closed and squeeze and shake the bag to mix the ingredients.
- Add the chicken and peppers and zip closed.
- Turn and shake the bag several times to coat the chicken.
- Slightly unzip the bag and remove as much air as possible.
- Freeze flat and use within 2 months.
Leave a Reply